Wednesday, December 12, 2012

What Can We All Learn From the Next Generation of Grammy Award Winners?

Photo by gingerbydesigns, Creative Commons

While I get to work with talented people of all ages, I'm very lucky that several of my clients are young and vibrant with an untainted view of the world and a future that stretches ahead of them with endless possibilities.  Seeing that hope and excitement in their eyes energizes me and makes me excited for them.  Working with my high school and college aged clients keeps me young (which is good since this Saturday marks the first day of my last year of my thirties!).

This past year I've had the privilege to work with some teens who are talented beyond belief and have so much to offer the world, one of which who has a heart to use her God-given talent to raise money and resources for impoverished people both here in the US and around the globe.  To know that I get to play a very small part in helping her accomplish this confirms that there is a greater purpose for what I do.  

I've also been honored this year to work with the seniors at Belmont University in the Commercial Music Department who will be showcasing their talents in the Annual Commercial Music Showcase in February.  

One common thing I've noticed about all of these clients is that, despite the fact they are young and hip and therefore already have great style, they understand that continually improving, polishing, and maintaining their style is going to help them be more successful in the long-run.  They also understand that being able to articulating themselves, their talent and their uniqueness well is also part of their style and image.  This is why they are hungry for the various image consulting services I provide.

This article is one I came across on the GRAMMY Camp/GRAMMY in the Schools web site and is a perfect example of what I'm trying to convey:  "Passion for Fashion," articulately and very well-written by student journalist Kimberly Hara.  I encourage readers of all ages to take a peek at this article because it's sometimes those younger than us from whom we can learn the most.  These teens obviously knew and understood early on in life the importance of image in a musician's career that some older aspiring artists never seemed to grasp.

Again, I encourage you to read Hara's entire article, but I did want to pull a few of my favorite quotes from it to share right here:
  • "It’s all about the image and if it’s someone who doesn't care then it reflects them," says Keri Prather who is a songwriter.
  • "The style is what sets the tone for what people are going to expect of you musically," Evan Rees says.
  • "...when [Rees] asked Brian London (Musical Director) what makes a pop audition successful, London replied, 'It’s at least 60% style and 40% playing.'"
Source: http://www.grammyintheschools.com/features/passion-fashion


Return to paNASH Style web site.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We've moved! Click here to be re-directed.