Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Back to School: There's Always Something New to Learn!


Today is the first day back to school for students here in Nashville's Metro Public Schools.  Yes, it's only August 1st, and they are already back in school.  I don't have a child of my own going back to school, but I did have a crazy dream last night that I went back to school...to kindergarten...as an adult.  I was the age I currently am, yet all of my classmates were five-year-olds.  They were the same kids I went to school with back home.  I remember in my dream thinking to myself, "This time around when they pick on me, I'll have better come-backs now that I'm older and wiser!"  I thought what was happening in the dream was really cool because I was getting a "life do-over" now with the knowledge I didn't have then when I was only five.  Then I woke up.

Why am I telling you about my dream from last night?  Don't worry.  I'm going to try my best to make a connection here.  While right now it's back to school for our children, it's also almost time for back to school for singers and songwriters with this year's Nashville Songwriters Association International (NSAI) SongPosium (September 17th-21st).  SongPosium is a music professional development event of over 140 classes to choose from, all devoted to the development of both aspiring and established singers and songwriters from all genres.  Classes are taught by over 50 music industry experts from around the globe on topics of their areas of expertise.  Categories of topics include:
  • Performance
  • Vocal
  • Guitar
  • Craft
  • Career
  • Business
  • Studio/Tech
I am honored to serve once again this year as a SongPosium instructor alongside great industry experts such as Woody Bomar, Don Henry, Gary Talley, and Brian White. I will be offering two classes in the CAREER category, one a repeat of my most popular class from last year (this year available in two different time-slots), and the other a brand new class I'm excited to share!  Below are descriptions of my programs with links to register for the event.  I encourage you to review all of the course listings from the various instructors since there are so many great topics to choose from, all of which you can register for either a la carte or as a package.
IMAGE: Yeah, It’s THAT Important, for Artists AND Songwriters! (Tues. 9/18, 9-10:30am & Fri. 9/21, 11am-12:30pm)
Class description:
We live during a time in the music industry where, more than ever before, image is everything.  Since most music is now first discovered online, it is often the case that the artist’s or songwriter’s photo pops up well before the music ever starts to download or play.  But image is not just about how you look.  It’s also about how you present yourself to industry leaders who have the power to take your career to the next level.  During this session, you will learn what all image includes, what role it plays in your career as a singer and/or songwriter, and how it can lead to success.  You’ll also learn step-by-step ways to strategically improve your image through your appearance, your networking skills, and the promotion of yourself to labels and publishers.   If you’ve got the talent, it’s now time to attract the attention you deserve!  (Click here to register for your choice of classes.)

Who Is (Insert Your Name Here)? (Wed., 9/19, 9-10:30 am)
Class Description:   Most likely you have no problems telling others about yourself through your songs, but do you know how to express who you are without your guitar?  Are you able to articulate what you have to offer the industry and the world when you’re meeting people at events such as SongPosium or, more importantly, when meeting with someone who has the power to take your career to the next level?  Most singers and songwriters find it more difficult to pitch themselves, especially to potential labels or publishers, than to pitch a song.  This session will provide hands-on self-reflective activities that will not only help you discover underlying skills and teach you how to market yourself as a musician, but will also help you clarify who you are as a person.  You will walk away from this session with a new perspective of yourself and a new confidence that will open doors with the right people.  And who knows, what you unearth in this session might just be the inspiration for your next big song!  (Click here to register for your choice of classes.)
So, singers and songwriters, sharpen your pencils because you're never too old (or too wise!) to learn something new!

Return to paNASH Style web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We've moved! Click here to be re-directed.