If you have received an invitation to a job, it means you’ve already made a great impression thanks to your optimized resume. But now you need to prepare for another first impression: your appearance at the interview. What should you wear?
Here are some general tips for both men and women on proper interview attire:
● Suit, preferably a solid color such as dark grey or navy (avoid black since for men it tends to be too formal in an interview)
● Dress shoes
● Dark socks (should blend in with pant color)
● Belt (should match shoe color)
● Long sleeve shirt (coordinated with suit and tie)
● Nice watch, cufflinks, and/or a tie clip (choose one)
● Trimmed fingernails
● Little or no cologne
● Portfolio or briefcase
● Suit, preferably a solid color such as navy, dark grey, or black (women can wear black for interviews without it looking too formal, but it’s only recommended if it works for your skin tone)
● Conservative shoes
● Nice blouse (coordinated with suit)
● Simple jewelry
● Light makeup
● Little or no perfume
● Neatly manicured nails
● Portfolio or briefcase (in place of a purse)
It’s also important to note that a professional hairstyle is a must for both men and women. It should be neat and professional -- for men, this might mean a fresh haircut or a small amount of styling gel in their hair; for women, keeping your hair off your face is imperative to eliminate distraction.
Although you should look as professional as possible, you also need to be comfortable in your interview attire. Prior to interview day, be sure to try on your outfit to ensure it fits well. If it needs adjustment, take it to a tailor so you won’t end up tugging on it throughout the interview.
Confidence during your interview is an important part of appearing professional and capable. By choosing the right clothing and accessories, your outfit can help you feel more confident about yourself and make a great impression on the employer.
What’s your go-to interview outfit? Why do you think it works so well?