Friday, April 10, 2009

One of the things I collect (in addition to shoes) is quotes. I’ve been collecting a variety of quotes for ten years now, but only have about 325 of them because I am very selective in the ones I list in my notebook. Typically I don’t go out seeking these quotes, I let them find me. And I only make note of those that speak to me about the things I am either enjoying or struggling with in life at that time. Therefore, my list reads almost like a personal journal. I can look back at them and remember why I selected that quote at that particular time and reflect on what I was going through at that time. Along the way, I have found some quotes that relate to what I do in my business as an image consultant and personal stylist. These are ones that I think best describe my unique approach to fashion and style. I hope that, by sharing with you these quotes and my thoughts on them, you will see that both paNASH Style and Lori Bumgarner are about instilling confidence in people rather than being materialistic or judging others based on what they wear. I plan to share a new quote with you each week or as often as I have the time to blog. Some are deep, some are very matter-of-fact, and others are just plain funny. I hope you enjoy!
Lori


“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Unfortunately, in today’s media, naked people do have influence on society, but not in a positive way. Their nakedness promotes both lust and poor body image. Don’t get me wrong, nakedness can be a wonderful form of art or an expression of freedom (i.e. for members of nudists camps), but when used to sell it as sex is a grave underestimation of both the person doing the selling and the person doing the buying. Mark Twain also said, “The finest clothing made is a person's skin, but, of course, society demands something more than this.”

Another thought to ponder: what do nudists wear on casual Fridays? (A. J. Esther)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We've moved! Click here to be re-directed.