Wednesday, October 19, 2011

You're Not Anonymous

I am fortunate to have the opportunity to work with people who are either just on the cusp of their careers or are going through a career transition.  I get to use my skills and experience in helping them polish their uniqueness into a genuine image that will help them succeed in their endeavors.  Many of my clients are up-and-coming recording artists, wondering if and when they are ever going to get their big break, and others are ones who have been forced to look for new career opportunities either due to a job loss or other devastating circumstances.  Whatever the situation is, it's important to do all the things that are within our control to improve our situation, and then learn to let go of the rest and trust that God is the one who is ultimately in control.  Today's devotional from my daily devotional book for this year of 2011 speaks to this.  Upon reading it, I felt led to share it here on my blog so that it will hopefully bring some comfort and hope to those who read it.  Whoever wrote this particular devotional chose to remain anonymous, but know that if you are reading this right now, it's because God knew you needed it today.  You are not anonymous to Him.
Focal verse:  "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him" (James 1:5, from the passage James 1:1-13)
It was just one of those days!  I was still waiting on God to show me my place of service.  I needed His wisdom and frankly, I needed it that day.  I was doing my field training for seminary at the First Baptist Church of Houston (where I later served on staff for eight years) with no hope of a job in sight.  I was in my last semester and wondered if God had totally forgotten about me.  I had spent the last few months almost begging people to hire me.  And here I was doing the tiniest of jobs and sure I could not last another day.
I felt impressed (I mean a strong impression) to go to a luncheon hosted by a women's seminary group.  This was not a group that I had ever been to (or since), and I certainly was not drawn by the topic, but I knew I was to go.  I already had a lunch scheduled but the lady called to cancel.  There was my open door.  I jumped in the car and headed to a place I'd never been (with no directions of course) and even found it.  As I walked in, there was one empty seat (a no show) just waiting for me.  I have no doubt the hostess looked at me like I was crazy to show up unannounced.  I explained that I was supposed to be there.
As this woman began to speak, she shared her testimony of the trials in her life and how God had opened the doors for her to have her ministry job.  She told story after story that I related to.  She pointed us to Exodus 14:13-14:  "Moses answered the people, 'Do not be afraid.  Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today....  The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.'"  I know that I had to talk to her more.  I knew the Lord was speaking through her to me.
After the session was over, it seemed everyone cleared out early except for me.  We walked about outside of the building and talked.  She had such wisdom!  It was obvious that I had asked God for wisdom and He had spoken through her.  I knew God was telling me to quit trying to help Him find a job for me--He would fight for me.  I just needed to patiently wait for Him.
Anonymous
I hope that as you've read this devotional, you have not only found comfort and hope in it, but that also God has led you to forward or share this with someone else you know who will find comfort in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We've moved! Click here to be re-directed.