Monday, January 3, 2011

Resolve to Follow Through on Your New Year's Resolutions

As many of you know I collect quotes and often tweet the ones from my collection that speak to me on that particular day.  I thought today's quote I posted was especially fitting for the new year:

“Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness.” 
James Thurber

This is the time of year when we resolve to either do the things we said we were going to do last year or do some new things to improve our lives in a variety of ways.  I recently did a quick search for the most popular New Year's resolutions that people make.  I was surprised to see that seven of the top ten were ones that my services can actually be used to help people achieve those goals for the new year.  

From my research, I found that “get fit” and “lose weight” are two resolutions that always land in the top ten of New Year's resolutions (not a surprising discovery by any means).  This time last year I shared with audiences on a few TV and radio shows tips on how to shed 10 to 20 pounds just in the time it takes to get dressed in the morning.  My tips taught viewers and listeners how to dress their particular body types to look significantly slimmer.

Two other New Year’s resolutions that take up residence in the top ten are “get organized” and “save money.”  In my book Advance Your Image, I've provided tips on how to do both by going through your closet and organizing clothing in a way that helps you “shop” in it.  By “shopping” in your own closet and creating new outfits from items you already own, you can feel like you have a whole new wardrobe without ever spending a dime in the stores!  If and when you do have to go clothes shopping, my book also provides tips on how to save both your money and your sanity when shopping (many of my clients, both male and female, hate to shop and feel overwhelmed by all the choices available in stores, which is where I help them become more targeted in their shopping and therefore make it a little more pleasant experience for them).

With more than ten years past experience as a career adviser, I also teach my clients and readers how to put forth a good image and make a good impression when trying to accomplish one of the most popular New Year’s resolutions in recent economically difficult years:  “find a new job.”  I work with individuals and speak to groups (both within and outside the music industry) on topics such as job interview preparation, networking strategies, and looking good on paper in a resume and cover letter.  

The resolutions that tend to top the most popular list each year are “learn something new” and “help others.”  I am always striving to teaching my clients and readers new things, whether it’s how to develop an “elevator speech” to open doors to new opportunities or how to improve their visual image by bringing their inner qualities to the surface.  I help others by polishing the gem they already are so that their inner beauty shines even brighter.  One of my gifts is the ability to encourage others.  I use that gift to encourage readers of my blog and visitors of my website to get involved in helping others in the Nashville community.  Click here for organizations you can get involved with listed at the bottom section of that page.

Spend some time becoming aware of the goals you need to make for this current year.  Never give up on your goals and never be afraid to ask for help in achieving them.  I hope you all have a happy and successful new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We've moved! Click here to be re-directed.