Thursday, March 15, 2012

Your Life in Puzzle Pieces: the Professionally-Written Bio

Yes, I know I'm a little behind on this week's blog.  Chalk it up to writer's block, or more accurately, spring fever.  When I could have been writing my blog yesterday, I was instead enjoying the beautiful weather at Centennial Park.  Now that it's raining today, I guess I have no excuse, other than the writer's block which is more accurate for today.  That's probably because I've been writing a lot of artist bios lately and am just about spent.

This last bio I thought for sure would be apparent that I was about tapped out for attention-grabbing words to tell the unique story of a new rap/hip-hop artist out of DC.  I figured I would have to do more revisions than usual after sending an initial draft, which usually requires at least one revision with minor changes and tweaks anyway.  But to my pleasant surprise, the artist responded to the initial draft with an "It's perfect!  I love everything about it!"  I was thrilled.

But, no matter how many bios I write, I'm always able to find the words that the client just can't seem to find, or doesn't feel comfortable writing themselves.  For me, it's like putting together a puzzle.  I gather from the artists' music and conversations with them pieces of their stories and make them fit in a way that makes sense to the reader.  It's fun, but just as with a puzzle, sometimes you have to break away from it for a little while and then come back to it in order to finish it.

Anyone who's had to sit down and write their own bio knows how difficult it can be.  But it's true that it is more difficult to write your own bio than to write someone else's.  I think that's why I've been writing so many for other people lately.  They just don't know where to start when writing their own bio.  When I've completed an artist's bio, I step back and look at it with a sense of accomplishment as I would if I had just finished a 1,000 piece puzzle.  Often times, I wish the bios I've written for my artists were my bio!

So if you're struggling with getting started on your own bio, let me know.  I'm here to help.  I know that my writer's block will dissipate and I'll be able to tell your story in a way you've always wanted to, but didn't know how.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We've moved! Click here to be re-directed.