Sunday, July 31, 2011

An Everlasting Answer to the Ever-Present Question of 'What Am I Going to Wear Today?'

One day while doing some personal shopping for one of my clients, she asked me, “Do you, as a stylist, ever wake up in the morning and, like I and most women do, ask yourself ‘What am I going to wear today?’” 

My response was, “Of course I have days like that!” 

“So what do you do?” she asked. 

I said, “I do what I do every morning:  during my prayer time I ask God to show me what He wants me to wear.” 

“You do?” she asked with surprise in her voice.  

“Yes,” I said, “and I also ask Him to show me what clothes I should be selecting for my clients.  I pray before each and every appointment I have with each and every client of mine for the Lord to guide me in my work.” 

“Really?!” she asked. 

“Yes.  In fact, I prayed right before this appointment today.  And then I put my trust in God’s workings through the talent and skills He has graciously given me.” 

It’s true that God hears all of our prayers, even the ones that we assume are about insignificant things.  Big or small, He’s ready to answer our prayers, either immediately or later in His perfect timing, as long as we are in sync with His will for our lives. 

One of the things that is His will for us is for us to get dressed each day in the armor of God.  Even if you don’t know which garments to wear on a particular day, His word does tell us that we should, before doing anything, put on armor including the Belt of Truth, the Breastplate of Righteousness, the Shoes of Peace, the Shield of Faith, the Helmet of Salvation, and the Sword of the Spirit (God’s Word).  I have been spending time lately studying in depth what this really means.  I encourage you to also learn about the armor of God and to get dressed in it not just on this Sunday of July 31st, 2011, but each and every day the Lord has created!

 10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

The Warrior’s Prayer

Heavenly Father,
Your warrior prepares for battle.
Today I claim victory over Satan
by putting on the whole Armor of God!

I put on the Belt of Truth!
May I stand firm in the truth of Your Word
so I will not be a victim of Satan’s lies.

I put on the Breastplate of Righteousness!
May it guard my heart from evil
so I will remain pure and holy,
protected under the blood of Jesus Christ.

I put on the Shoes of Peace!
May I stand firm in the Good News of the Gospel
so Your peace will shine through me
and be a light to all I encounter.

I take the Shield of Faith!
May I be ready for Satan’s fiery darts of
doubt, denial and deceit
so I will not be vulnerable to spiritual defeat.

I put on the Helmet of Salvation!
May I keep my mind focused on You
so Satan will not have a stronghold in my thoughts.

I take the Sword of the Spirit!
May the two edged sword of Your Word
be ready in my hands
so I can expose the tempting words of Satan.

By faith Your warrior has put on
the whole Armor of God

I am prepared to live this day
in spiritual victory.

In His most Holy Name,
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We've moved! Click here to be re-directed.